760 bathroom pods
Los Angeles, CA
Estimated Completion 2017
Project Notes – Wilshire Grand
Oldcastle SurePods will supply 698 fully complete bathroom pods for the new Wilshire Grand project, supplying the project with factory built fully finished bathrooms that will remain locked for the duration of the interior construction process. Once the bathroom pods arrive onsite, they will require only a handful of mechanical, electrical and plumbing connections. Use of the plug and play SurePods are the latest evidence that the Wilshire Grand will set the gold standard of design, engineering and architecture in downtown Los Angeles when its doors open in 2017.
INNOVATIVE DESIGN | The Pod Difference
- Pod fabrication began in the SurePods factory at the same time the concrete was being poured for the building’s foundations at the site. Concurrent construction activities, a benefit of prefabrication, helps to abbreviate the overall project schedule allowing the new hotel to open up quicker.
- The project architects own the design of the 5-star bathrooms so no creativity is lost while Oldcastle engineers coordinating the connection points with the project MEP engineers. This allows for the maximum efficiencies of lean offsite manufacturing.
ADVANCED ENGINEERING | Pod Installation
- Pods will be loaded three at a time onto flatbed trucks and driven four hours from the manufacturing facility in Madera, CA to the Wilshire Grand job site in Downtown Los Angeles.
- The site crane along with a specialized lifting cage provided by Oldcastle will hoist the pods vertically and slide them into the structure on floors 31-66.
- The bathrooms will be wrapped for maximum weather protection until the building is completely weather-tight and they are opened, inspected and rolled into place.
STREAMLINED EXECUTION | Time-Saving Benefits of Pods
- Bathrooms typically require the skill set of 10 different trades when built on-site. This work was completed by a single vendor offsite providing for an efficient single point of contact for all the bathrooms.
- Once fabricated, installation is as simple as hoisting the pod using the site crane and making mechanical connections similar to a kitchen appliance.
- The repetitive, assembly-line style of the offsite fabrication process allowed the bathrooms to be constructed in line with lean principles and guaranteed quality.
EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS | Benefits of the Pod Approach
- The bathroom pods are designed using 3D Revit modeling allowing for complete BIM coordination. These computer models drive the factory automation leading to complete dimensional accuracy and unmatched high-quality workmanship.
- Bathroom pods go through a rigorous process of strict Quality Assurance & Quality Control throughout assembly and prior to shipping.
- Offsite construction of the pods save about 100 man hours per bathroom, increasing project efficiency, reducing site congestion, improving onsite safety and benefiting the overall project schedule without compromising quality
- Oldcastle SurePods offer a 5-year structural and 1-Year material and workmanship warranty.
Share on your social media